Monday, May 11, 2009

Wizard of Oz - a political satire?

Hello everyone! How is everyone doing today? I am alright I guess. I have been working hard trying to write up my thesis. But last week, I forgot to tell you, I saw Wizard of Oz. I'd been wanting to see this American classic. I totally enjoyed it. I didn't know 'Somewhere over the rainbow' was a song from this movie. It seemed like a nice children's story until my sister told me that it was a political satire. I looked it up and there two stories- one when the book was written and one when the movie was made. But I found it weird that when the book was written, the wizard represents a manipulative politician, but when the movie was made he was supposed to be this kindly FDR who leads America out of the Great depression of the 1930's.
So there's some food for thought.
Food wise, I haven't really tried anything fancy. I made this flattened rice dish that is a breakfast thing in India. Its chief attraction to me is that it can be made fast.

Recipe
Fine chopped onion 3/4 of a large one
green chilli -1-2
cumin seeds
vegetable oil
flattened rice 2 cups
Frozen mixed vegetables
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
Turmeric a pinch
Lemon juice and salt to taste
Take a pan and add some oil to it. Add cumin seeds when oil is hot. Let it splutter and then add onions, turmeric, green chillies and about a cup of frozen mixed vegetables. Let it cook such that onions are golden brown and vegetables are cooked. Wash the flattened rice with water. Add it to the onions and vegetables. Add salt and a dash of sugar. Mix well and finally add lemon juice. Here's how it looks



Another thing I made for dinner last night was Yoghurt curry. This too is a fast dinner.

You will need
1 cup chick pea flower
2 cups yoghurt
5 cups water
2 tsp oil
3-4 dried red chilli
fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Frozen spinach
turmeric
mustard seeds

Make a slurry of the chick pea flour, yoghurt and water.
Heat the oil. Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, dried red chillies and roast them for a few seconds. Then add spinach and give it a toss in the oil . Finally add the slurry and let it thicken. Add salt to taste. If you don't want it as spicy, add less chilli

Serve over cooked rice.






I'm tellin ya, the dish is much tastier than it looks. Honest! I did not have the time to make a proper presentation.
I am a dessert addict. I need something for dessert after dinner. Yesterday it was angel food cake, topped with vanilla pudding strawberries and whipped cream..mmmm...borrowing word from Emily - it was absolutely delish!!
Gtg now
Talk to you later.
Smita


2 comments:

Emily said...

Sounds like some delish eats! :-) haha.

Hooray for pics, too.

I never really think of WOZ as a political satire..I just try to enjoy it for the fun film that it is. :-)

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I am glad you saw the Wizard of Oz, it's one of my all time favorites. If there are any other classics you want to see, give me a call!