Sunday, May 24, 2009

I love Summer!!!

Hey People! looks like everybody is having a nice time. Yay!!! me too! I have been reading, writing, cooking and playing.
Yesterday, Jamie wanted to use RPAC. So she bought a guest pass and we worked out. One thing that was new for me though was I used the swimming pools in RPAC for the first time. It was so much fun! Since we'd already worked out before we headed towards the pool-I just did a lap in the lanes. Even though I had the energy for more laps- I did not want to tire myself out as I had to get back to writing. It had been at least 3 years since I stepped in a pool and boy was I glad that I was able to swim ??yes!!! though I still am not very comfortable with my face in water- on my back its heaven! then there are the shallow play areas with a shower of water and finally the warm jacuzzi!!! Both of us rode our bikes home. On the way, we saw turtles/tortoises (I don't know how to distinguish between them) on the bike path! Iwas quite pleasantly surprised since I did not expect them there. Damn cute- they immediately slid their head in the shell when they saw us approaching.

This is how our garden looks like now- with all the saplings planted. The white tabs seen are a reminder to us about what we planted. We will have to wait for a month or two before we savor anything. But meanwhile, regular irrigation goes on. If you look carefully, there's a strawberry plant on the top left. It has small green berries at this time. I hope we get them.


Foodwise, its been great too. We had Indian bread, spiced green beans and boiled mung beans. The good thing about this Indian bread (called roti/chappati) is that you can knead the dough and keep it in the fridge. It stays for a week at least and you can make fresh bread everytime you eat.
Everything is quite easy to make took me 40 minutes to make the whole meal.
For green beans- Take 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add a tsp of mustard seeds, 1 green chilli, a dash of lentils ( roasted lentils add crunch to the dish), then add frozen green beans. Let it cook. Finally add salt and fresh coconut (I get a frozen bag from the Indian grocery store).
Mung beans were super easy too. I boiled it in a pressure cooker ( a pressure cooker is a must have in an Indian kitchen- you won't find many Indian households without one). Seasoning was heat 2 tsp oil, add a tsp of cumin seeds, grate some ginger, 1 green chilli. Pour this on boiled mung beans, add the juice of 1 lemon and mix. Salt to taste. Very yummy and filling.

Since its been a while since I wrote, I guess I've taking pics but not posting it. This is stir fried rice- one of Jamie's creations. Oil, carrots, peas, onion, salt, pepper soy sauce and rice.

Remember the spinach, sprouts and beets salad I told you about, well we made it again and this is how it looks like. I wish I had a better pic for the last two. But bad picture aside, ain't this colorful?
Today was one good day. A guy in a truck was handing out free samples of Glaceau Vitamin water. This new one is orange flavored and touts itself to be just 10 calories. But it has quite a variety of natural sweetners- 1) Crystalline fructose, 2) Erythritol ( never heard of this one) and 3) Rebiana (extracted from stevia) and 4) 3 gm sugar. Tastes like, well, Vitamin water. Can make out that it has sweetners.The moment I saw 10 calories- I knew it was going to be there.
So long folks.
Take care and have fun
Smita

2 comments:

Gina; The Candid RD said...

That vitamin water sounds interesting, did it taste good? Also, is that garden in your back yard?!?! I want one!

Emily said...

Sounds like you're having a great weekend! Glad you and Jamie got to use the RPAC together.

Eh, Vitamin water. I'll just stick to the good ole stuff that comes out of the tap. :-)