Sunday, May 3, 2009

Chipotle inspired Chappati Burrito and banana pancakes

Good morning everyone! How are you guys doing this Sunday morning? I, for one am feeling very good because I had really nice deep sleep after a long time last night and am feeling very fresh. I apologize, I haven't been as regular as I want to, but, my lab work takes up a lot of my time and I get exhausted at the end of it. I need to improve my stamina!
But, even though its been busy, me and Jamie have been having some good stuff. I love living with Jamie. We cook together, she's as conscious of healthy eating, she's a huge supporter of all things new and creative and last but not the least we clean the kitchen at the end of our cooking so there's no dreaded pile of dishes later. I can really appreciate this, because with my ex boyfriend- the pattern was I cook and he cleans. He waited to clean till the pile got on his nerves and finally did it. It used to bother me initially, but I learned to tolerate it- coz there's no way I'm doing everything..:)
Anyways, for dinner last night we had chappati Burrito. Chappati is a versatile Indian flat bread. You can eat it with vegetables on the side, stuff it with vegetables and what not. Making it is easy. Take wheat flour, add a dash of salt and knead the dough with water. The quality of the bread depends on good quality wheat flour and good kneading. Jamie really really likes it. I taught her how to knead the dough and she really makes an elastic soft dough now. And now she wants to do funky stuff with it. Last time, we kneaded the dough with crushed avocado, water, cilantro, salt and garlic. It was okay by itself, but way more tastier in burrito form. Another good thing about this dough is you can knead it and keep it tightly sealed ( otherwise the dough dries) in the fridge for a week at least.
Yesterday night I wanted something filling. So I thought of making burritos with chappati. We had a little bit of leftover rice too. Here's how we made it.

Salad spinach leaves
Sauted corn and sliced onions
carrots cut in strips
Cucumber cut in strips with the soft insides taken out
Leftover rice ( we had about quarter cup remaining). Season with fine chopped cilantro, salt and lemon juice.
Tomato salsa ( one tomato, one green chilli, fine chopped cilantro, a little bit of fine chopped onion, lemon juice and salt and pepper)
Kidney beans seasoned with lemon juice ( canned, Black beans will work perfectly as well, in fact preferred)
Sour cream
Cheddar cheese
Indian wheat bread.

Using a rolling pin, flat out some avocado dough and cook it on the griddle. Then take the bread, spread some sour cream on it, place sauted corn and onion in the middle, pile it on with rice, cucumber, kidney beans, carrots, cheese tomato salsa, spinach leaves and wrap it like a burrito ( okay , at least try to wrap it like the professionals- for one our bread was not as huge as the tortilla in chipotle). Keep some salsa on the side if you want some and enjoy! We really liked it a lot, it is very filling and a good way to use up leftover rice.

Today morning we had banana pancakes with chocolate chips and maple syrup. We made the pancakes the regular way- but instead of all purpose flour we used wheat flour- way more healthier. Very yummy- almost like dessert.

Okay I gotta get back to writing my thesis. Sigh! I wish my thesis flowed as readily as this post! Have a great day everyone, be outrageous, be creative, or just relax by trying not to be anything and have fun! love from Smita.

P. S. We went to see Emily in concert on Friday! She rocks!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks for coming to my concert!

Sounds like you had some delish eats over the weekend. We'll have to get together for dinner sometime soon!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Avocado dough?!?! I must know how to make that!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your bolg Smita!! I too enjoy sharing dish duty. It is so much easier to do the dishes after eating delightful, inventive meals...thanks for that! Jamie

Ilknur said...

Hi Smita,
I read all of your posts after learning that you had started a food blog. I loved reading your posts and catching up with your life! I am looking forward to seeing the pictures.
You know how crazy I am about food. Now, I want to make Chappati bread with avocado and cilantro. Yum!
Ilknur