Thursday, May 7, 2009

The tofu story

Good evening people! Hope everyone is doing alright. I am doing good too. Of late, I've been reading blogs and it really is influencing my eating habits. Like soy- I love vanilla soymilk and tofu is growing on me ( I think I'm partial to an Indian cottage cheese called paneer which has quite a similar texture to tofu). I remembered having seen the making of tofu on National geographic a long time back and for some reason I thought Plaster of Paris ( Calcium sulfate hemihydrate- stuff used to make statues and molds) was involved in the process. Just to confirm my hunch, I youtubed and found a nice video. Here it is
Apparently its magnesium chloride and water that curdles soymilk.
My friend in Calif is hypothyroid and she told me that she avoids soy products because it inhibits the absorption of synthetic thyroids which she has to take for life. So I looked for an article and this is what I found
Well, I admit I just read the abstract and soy does reduce the absorption. So folks with hypothyroid problems need not avoid it but may need to take more hormone. It also says that people with reduced iodine intake and consume soy run the risk of developing clinical hypothyroidism.

And finally here's an end to my story with a recipe and a picture. Ta daa!!!


Today for dinner we had strawberry mango tofu smoothie. I had my lunch at 5 pm and Jamie has her teacher appreciation week going on at work so she had some really rich food. Both of us were not in the mood for a proper dinner.

Recipe
1 cup silken tofu
1/2 cup soy milk
strawberries
canned mango pulp from Indian store

Blend it all together and sheer joy with a dollop of whipped cream on top!
I have to confess I've never owned a digital camera before and I've never formatted pics on computer before. I promise better quality pics as time goes by

So long and see you later!

Smita


3 comments:

Gina; The Candid RD said...

YES!!! Great pic ;) Those sound AND LOOK so delicious!

Emily said...

Smoothies look delish!
I'm actually trying to avoid soy right now, or else I would definitely make one!

I like paneer, too. :-)

Smitha said...

Emily, why are you avoiding soy?