Thursday, May 7, 2009

Quick fixes

Its 1:31 am and I've been thinking of ideas of how to write my study. Its been hard because so many of my experiments failed. Finally I have decided to report a negative study- things that did not work for me. Viruses are hard. I spoke to a professor yesterday and he told me that his student has been working on this virus for an year now and still hasn't got the results- which is its infectivity. So that made me feel a little better. I think there are only so many things that can go wrong. My cells are fine before I do the assay. So I'm guessing I have to either check the pH of what I'm putting on the cells or lower the amount of virus I put on cells. There are so many things I can tweak and check. Let's see.

Since I'm so preoccupied with writing up and doing experiments, I want quick filling meals. I've been wanting to make good sandwiches. Yesterday, when we went to Columbus metropolitan library to return stuff, I found just the book I was looking for- 'Vegetarian Sandwiches'. I made a sandwich with tahini poppy seed spread because I happened to have almost all the ingredients

Spread
1 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp yoghurt
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp honey
1/4 tsp poppy seeds

Vegetables
Boiled potato
cucumber
onion
broccoli sprouts
sliced tomato
grated cheddar cheese
( the original sandwich asked for sweet potato instead of regular potato and avocados too)

Whole grain bread.

Put the spread on the bread, stack the veggies, cover with another slice of bread with spread and it is delicious!

Today was another quick fix.
I had a boiled potato from yesterday, I decided to make a potato omelette

Slice the boiled potato
Beat two eggs and season with salt, pepper and crushed oregano
Chop some spinach and shred some cheese (I used moz)

Take some olive oil in a skillet and place the potatoes as a base for the omelette and let them browm a little. I seasoned the potatoes and eggs with salt and pepper. Then add eggs, spinach and cheese. Cook it on medium heat and that's it. It's awesome and very filling too.

I have a feeling that Gina is gonna be mad at me for not posting pics. Gina has been so nice and generous in lending me her camera so that I can post pics on my blog. Ain't that super nice of her? I'm sorry but it just slipped my mind that I had a camera with me today. I will definitely post pics of all my good eats!

Back to writing now. Have a grand day tomorrow and good nite for now!

Smita

2 comments:

Emily said...

Sounds like some good eats!

I'm busy writing away, too...ick. Good luck! We will have to celebrate when we're all done. I already have to use the end of quarter deadline instead of the regular one.

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I am not mad :) But, I can't wait to see some pics! I just stopped working on my thesis for the day and boy am I sick of it. I'm dreaming of graduation, even though I also wish it wouldn't come too fast (catch 22) ugh.