Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Gourmet food!

Namaste everyone! ( this is the Indian hello) How's everybody doing? Hope Emily had a great B'day. I thought of you on your B'day and I can't wait for the day when I can relax from writing pressure and focus on more pleasant stuff like the menu for your party. How goes sample
collection for Gina?
I am doing okay. I have this writing pressure on me. But I try not to stress myself too much because I cannot read/think right under too much pressure. But that being said, I actually enjoyed reading two papers which were very relevant to my study. One paper happened in a pig farm where they inoculated pigs with very virulent, moderately virulent and avirulent virus and measured how much of it came out in aerosols. The avirulent virus was not detected in aerosols at all. So I think I using avirulent virus (the one I have been working with) will not work for what we are trying to accomplish. Another paper used flow cytometry to count bacteria in aerosols and they went on to measure how much of it was there, how much was viable and how much was culturable. Technology is so cool these days...hello hello! are you there! wake up wake up! there's more interesting stuff! promise!
Okay now for the good stuff. Remember I told you about the 'Vegetarian sandwiches' book I got from the library. Well Jamie has really gotten inspired and she wants to eat and make some gourmet food and I totally support her in this endevor! Today her appetizer was 'Red and yellow pepper bruschetta'. This was soooo good. She got a nice baguette and toasted it. Then roasted some pine nuts. In olive oil, fry fine chopped red onion, red and yellow peppers. Pile it on the toasted bread and top it with grated parmesan cheese and roasted pine nuts. This was so so good! The sugars in the red and yellow peppers and onions caramelize a bit with roasting giving it a hint of sweetness and the parmesan adds just the right amount of a slight pungent flavor and good bread makes such a difference to the taste. Highly recommend this one!!



The main course was 'Zuccini pasta'. Make ribbons of zuccini using a scraper just like below. Heat olive oil, add 3 cloves of fine chopped garlic, then add zuccini, cook for 5-7 minutes, add 1 red chilli, juice of 1 lemon, 5 tbsp of half and half, 5 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese salt and crushed black pepper. Toss this on cooked linguini pasta and mix.


This is what the final dish looks like. We had it with garlic bread. It was awesome! Very lemony flavor and we had a very filling dinner today.



I'm sorry I haven't been as regular with posting as much as I want to. Its this writing stuff which takes precedence in my list. I have done the reading for most of what I want to write and I really spend a lot of time cracking my head over how do I say it best and convey it effectively.

Moreover, having to look at this creature down below, lolling, stretching and yawning in front of me, on my bed, does not help either. Just look at him!!



But if he's not in front of me, I'm wondering what he's upto. Darn these overcute pets!
(FYI- This is Jamie's cat)
Until we meet again,

Adios amigos pals!

Love from Smita






2 comments:

Gina; The Candid RD said...

mmmmm..zucchini spaghetti, I love it! So, when are we doing this so called menu planning?? Can it be after school is out? I'm excited :) We can cook at my apartment if you want!!

Emily said...

Yum, everything looks delish! :-) You and Jamie are becoming quite the gourmet chefs! I'm so glad you have a great roommate who shares your interest in good food.

Thanks for the bday wishes! I'm excited for the party. I bet you already have an awesome theme picked out. :-)

Don't stress too much! I'm at that point, too. When do you defend?