Thursday, May 14, 2009

Some of my Favorite things

Hello people, how is everyone doing? I am doing great. There are certain things I absolutely love.
1) I love working out. I think I am addicted to the endorphins post workout. Isn't that what makes people keep going back to exercise?
2) Another of my loves is Freddie Mercury!!!!! I absolutely adore him. When I listen to his music, he puts so much soul into each and everyone of his song and you can feel that in his songs. When I listen to the lyrics of Queen songs, they are so wholesome, experiences you can relate to, songs that will comfort you when you feel sad, songs with a sense of humor ( one of the lyrics of their songs....Here we are, born to be kings, we're the princes of the Universe..such a cheeky funny song..apparently it was created for the movie flash) and what guitar and drums and bass. OOH I LOVE QUEEN. THERE IS NOBODY LIKE HIM ANYMORE! He was such a genius. They made all kinds of songs- rock, pop, rock n roll. He connected so well with his audience. At the time when Queen came around, the trend was punk rock, but he stuck to what he wanted to do - opera rock and created masterpieces. I think creating good music is one of purest things you can do. It brings joy to so many people. And his voice, it fills me with awe!! He was known to be very generous too.Here's a song or two if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDTwWoVNltE&feature=related...

this is New York

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5qOTaJ0j4s

This is Las Palabras de amor..the words of love in Spanish

3) Beverages like tea and coffee. I bow my head to whoever discovered these. I love chai tea. The way I make it is not as milky as the one in Starbucks. I boil water first, add my flavorings like ginger or cinnamon, then add black tea leaves and finally milk. Then I give the whole thing a gentle boil. Africans make very yummy tea too. Theirs is more creamy than mine and very flavorful.
I love coffee too. I don't think I've reached coffee nirvana yet where I can distinguish between French roast or Columbian....



These are okay on my list. But these are cookies from the Indian store- the round ones are coconut cream, the long ones are chocolate cream and the rectangular ones next to the wheel like cookies go very well with tea



4) Filling, healthy tasty food. This is a lentils and Lima bean dish. I pressure cook both of them together. Lima beans have such a creamy texture when cooked! Seasoning is : roast some fine chopped onions in oil with cumin seeds, add a dash of chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric, a pinch of asafoetida and the juice of 1 small lemon or half a large lemon...( I know, I know I need to explain about this, but later- I need to get back to my writing)





And now ding ding ding ding ding!!!!! time for tip of the day!
If you want good quality bread and crackers at cheap rates buy it directly from the Pepperidge farm store on Kenny road ( same complex where Staples, Penzey spices is located).

Ok, I'll end now. I'd love to hear about your favorite things/ favorite music too.

Take care

Cheers!!
Smita

2 comments:

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Your blogs are getting better and better!! I love the tip of the day, and CHAI TEA :)

Anonymous said...

I love tea and coffee, too! can't live without my daily cup of joe. And also filling, healthy food! I've never really tried lima beans, though.