Sunday, April 26, 2009

Food and art



Its 4:3o in the afternoon and I'm in the lab waiting for my virus to adsorb on my cells. Its quite boring to sit and wait for it - what better way to kill time than write a post!

Today, I was looking for a link I'd saved in my favorites on my laptop when I came across a link on 'Fractal foods'. According to wikipedia, a fractal is a rough or fragmented geometric shape that can be split into parts each of which is a reduced sized copy of the whole. For instance, if you look at this large snowflake, each small star is a replica of the big star.


Apparently, fractals abound in nature- there are different kinds of fractals depending on the degree of similarity/type of similarity- yup, statistical/mathematical- most of which I don't understand at this point. Fractals can be seen in crystals, clouds, systems of blood vessels, pulmonary vessels, lightening, foods like broccoli, cawliflower. Here are some pics.



Here's a link where they zoom in on the broccoli http://www.fourmilab.ch/images/Romanesco/Lcr2.html
Its quite pretty actually. Can you apply this information in any way? Probably not. But you sure can look at the familiar in a new light!
I guess its time to get back to work and go home..phew!
Enjoy the rest of your sunday!
Smita

2 comments:

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Funky picture!!!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

I love this post-the broccoli looks awesome!!