Sunday, August 16, 2009

Attack of the tomatoes!

Hello everyone! How are you doing? I'm doing good. A tad tired though but good. The sun has been really hot and its getting to me. Today has been a fun day. I went for a workout at noon, I had a good workout with 10 minutes of elliptical, 30 minutes of treadmill and remaining time I did weights on machines for my quads, hamstrings, triceps, biceps and abs. So it was good. Later, I met up with a friend and we went to 'The corner Deli' in Clintonville. I'd heard about the salads being good and my friend really wanted a salad and soup as she had a head cold. We had a portobello wrap, a salad with sesame dressing and miso soup. It was delicious! Later in the evening, we had a block party. Josh and Dava- our neighbours organized this one- they invited all the neighbours to a potluck party- it was at 5:30 in the evening- so more sun! It was good fun. One of my neighbours has a 10 year old son named Rudy. He's so funny and active. So we played frisbee with him and basically its nice to know who are closeby..
Our tomatoes are really peaking these days. We have quite a lot of them..just have a look..


and these are not all of them..there are plenty on the vine too!
So for the party, we made salsa naturally! It was really good



The party lasted till 9:30 and boy was I sticky after all the loafing, playing frisbee, and sitting out in the shade yet hot outside...I took a nice bath after I got home..
I think post tomatoes, our garden will end for this summer. But, we've had loads of fun with it. We grew cucumbers, marconi peppers, lettuce, raddichio, tomatoes and now 'Baby watermelon'!Look at it..



It was really sweet..

There's another West Indian dish that I really like- its called patra. This is made with taro leaf rolled with spices and tamarind paste. I bought it from the Indian store and I really like it.



Its sweet and sour in flavor....
Midnite snack- blue corn chips and salsa. Phew, I'm really tired. I think I'll end here. Wish you guys a happy week!

3 comments:

Jaime said...

that salsa looks SOOO good!!! i wish i made stuff like that :) and the color of that watermelon is so pink and pretty!!

have a great day xxox

Gina; The Candid RD said...

How fun!! What a great way to use your tomatoes, salsa! Have you ever tried watermelon salsa?? it's also very good!

Emily said...

Sounds like you're having a great summer! Miss you!