Monday, July 27, 2009

Farmer's market goodness

Cheers Folks! how is everyone doing? I'm doing okay. I have to admit that my spirits are kinda low coz of the constant reminders of how bad the job market is and I should be doing this doing that and the job descriptions that I see on the web seem dull. My sister reads the NY Times stories of gloom and tells me to move in with her and save my money. It's a great offer- she has a nice house, I wouldn't have to worry about rent or living, but I love my space. I function best in my space and I'm hesitant to move. My sister is great and comes up with some very nice suggestions for me, but she can be very intense too and has an effect on me and sometimes, what she wants for me is not necessarily what I want for me. At least for sometime now, I've been trying to break free from my siblings influence, so you have no idea how worried I get at the thought of moving in with her. Even though I know what I should be doing, I'm not doing it. I need something invigorating to look forward to, something imaginative, lively and fun. I'm not averse to working hard, but it should be fun hard work. Then there's another thing I do, believe the negative and question the positive about me, even when I do get positive feedback on my work. Some days, I can really write a book on how to sap your energy. But enough of that, I know if I can affect my moods this bad, then the converse is also true, I can and have pulled myself out of it too. So I need to learn to relax, think positive and not worry so much. All this worry is my creation, my emptiness, and I have to figure out a way to fill it with my imagination.
On saturday morning, Jamie and I went to Clintonville farmer's market. It was cloudy but fortunately, it rained just after we got home. There were sunflowers everywhere- these are some of my favorite flowers because they're big and bright. We bought a small bunch of flowers. Here's the kitty sitting by it..

The bike path has some really pretty purple weeds and white flowers. After the current bunch wilts, I plan to get some weeds. Evening we made some Indian bread called roti and used it as a pita. Look at it swell!

Then we made some hummus with roasted garlic and made this..Roti layered with hummus, fresh cucumbers, boiled egg and diced tomato. It was pretty good.

Then we also got some haverti cheese from the farmer's market. It is so creamy and delicious. We had it as a snack with crackers and tea.

We also got a jam- this is made of peaches and chillies. Its yummy. The chilli hits you in the end in your mouth and its not like your mouth is on fire, but you are aware of its presence.
We saw Schlinder's list on Sunday. I really liked it a lot. It's in black and white. It's about how Oskar Schlinder- a Nazi bussinessman, creates wealth and then uses this wealth to free 1100 jews from concentration camps. It just boggles me how Hitler convinced so many people to commit such horrid crimes. I'm guessing most of you have seen it already. Did you know Steven Spielberg did not accept any money for this movie he made? I love Liam Neeson too. He has a goodness about him that I really like and I think he is sexy. Who are your favorite movie stars?

4 comments:

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Smita, let's go into business together! I want to start an online business, that involves diet consulting, grocery tours, and also I'm going to sell my ice cream and granola! You interested? I'm doing it!

Smitha said...

Wow Gina! that sure does sound exciting! Yes I'm interested!

Emily said...

I'll be praying that you'll find a job and make the best decision concerning your living situation. Tough stuff...being a grown up with a real job is scary.

Sounds like you and Jamie had a great time at the farmers market!

Unknown said...

Smita... I love reading your blog :)